Volunteer Position Descriptions
Detailed instructions for each volunteer position are posted below.
A printed copy of these instruction will be available at each position during the festival. You do not need to bring your own copy.
REGISTRATION AND MERCHANDISE TABLE GUIDELINES
Please arrive 15 minutes in advance of 1st class for that session.
Please stay 10 minutes after final class finishes for that session.
(according to assigned shifts)
1. Make yourself aware of the room locations for that session’s classes.
Rm 1-29 east end of hallway along north side of FAB;
Studio 2-7 – near north east corner of the main stairwell on 2nd floor.
Rm. 2-28 head east from the south east corner of the stairwell.
2. It is not mandatory that students register with you, but some may need to know how to find their classroom.
3. Make yourself aware of the location of the washrooms and water fountains.
4. Forms will be available to keep track of any music sales. Please be sure these are filled out.
5. The money box and merchandise for the table must be given to the designated committee member when no one is at the table. (see information with this guideline)
6. Should problems or questions arise, contact a committee member (wearing name tags) or text Sylvia at 780-619-1988 (likely in the building) or Marlaine at 780-239-4100.
7. Please note that the Saturday evening shift includes letting students in at the west door near HUB since the doors will be locked at 8 pm. Do NOT leave a doorstop in the door as that will trigger an alarm!!
HALLWAY MONITOR GUIDELINES
1. Please arrive 15 minutes before 1st class.
2. Provide a friendly welcome to all participants, parents and guests.
3. If the students aren’t sure, you can double check that they are at the correct room by helping them find their name in the program.
4. Students and guests are welcome to enter the room at anytime EXCEPT if a student is performing or if the clinician is giving their adjudication.
5. Hand out programs.
6. Locate the nearest washrooms and water fountain in case anyone asks.
7. Try to be aware of how many students have performed as the sessions are happening.
8. You may leave when your shift is over, or the last class of a session (afternoon/evening, etc.) has started.
Thank you for creating a pleasant space for our festival participants!!
Please arrive 15 minutes in advance of start time. Extra supplies are in CS Bag.
1. Check for pencils, pens, eraser, cups, tissues, water, snacks on clinician table.
2. Ask clinician to sign all adjudication sheets and certificates.
3. Ask clinician how they would like you to indicate if time is running late during adjudications.
4. Set programs outside the room and check for one program posted on door.
Check off classes as they are completed.
5. Greet participants and check off their names to determine if any are missing.
6. Give the welcome speech as follows:
- Welcome the performers, parents, teachers and guests.
- Introduce the clinician and announce where their bio is listed in the program.
- Read the following:
“This is an exciting year for Contemporary Showcase Edmonton. It is celebrating its 25th Anniversary and some special arrangements have been made to honour this event. Most of the clinicians this year are active composers themselves. There is a special gift for each participant. Also, 8 Alberta composers have written new student music and these new student pieces will be premiered the evening of November 24th in Studio 27. There will also be performances of student compositions the same evening followed by a reception. We encourage you to attend this special evening of new music!
Contemporary Showcase runs on many volunteer hours, as well as personal and business donations. We sincerely thank everyone who helps make it happen. Please consider supporting the businesses who support this festival.”
Then give the general announcements:
- Students should leave their music with the secretary as they come up to perform.
- If students are playing 2 pieces, it is not necessary to wait between them. They can start the 2nd when they’re ready.
- Students are welcome to ask for assistance with adjusting the piano bench.
- Please turn off cell phones. No texting or flash photography during performances.
- If recording, please only record the participant you came to support.
Do NOT record the adjudications.
- Thank the person who may have sponsored this class. (see program)
- Announce the Gala Concert which includes highlight performances from the festival.
November 30, 7:00 pm, Muttart Hall (main floor of Alberta College)
7. Monitor traffic if necessary. Others are welcome to enter between performances but not during performances or during adjudications.
8. Assist clinician with adjudication sheets, certificates and music. Assist students with piano bench/chair if needed.
9. Help keep class running on time by alerting clinician to available time left.
10. Give each participant a Contemporary Showcase Anniversary Music Bag – either after each one plays or at the end of the adjudication.
11. After the class, thank the clinician for their input and the audience for their support.
If a problem should arise, consult a committee member (wearing name tags)
or text Sylvia Taylor 780-619-1988 (in the building somewhere) or Marlaine Osgood 780-239-4100 .